A loss of sexual interest in men is considered to be rare when compared to women, but the reality is, many males suffer from a decline in sex drive. Usually, men with a drop in their sexual urges are too embarrassed about their sexual health condition and are even too scared to disclose it to a doctor. Virility and manhood shares a common link, and thus the loss is a huge threat to men.
The reality is, poor sexual health leads to intense depression in men. They often lose their self-confidence and suffer in silence, but the good news is, there are ways to cure a loss of libido in men. With proper and timely treatments, it becomes easy to regain the male libido.
The fact is that men’s low libido eventually leads to breakups in relationships. For this reason, it is vital that you find a solution to the problem before it takes over your overall well-being. In this article, you will find the various causes of loss of libido, and learn some effective ways to treat it.
1. An Overview of Loss of Libido in Men
Some men worry that their sudden disinterest in sex is a major concern, and they associate with permanent loss of libido. You should know that loss of sexual desire does not happen in a single day. It is a gradual process.
There might be several other reasons such as stress, health problems or relationship issues that might reduce your frequency of sex. If, under normal situations, you have limited sex to about once or twice in a month, you can consider it as a case of low libido. Here are a few more loss of libido symptoms you should watch for to determine if low sexual desire is the case.
- You don’t feel romantic, unless you are in bedroom.
- Even while having sex, you don’t experience any pleasure.
- You feel under pressure during sex.
- There are no sexual fantasies unless induced.
If you face most of these problems, you might be dealing with low libido in men. Read the rest of the article to find out about the causes of low sex drive in men and ways to treat it.
2. Erectile Dysfunction Affects Your Sex Drive
When you do not get the erection at the right moment, it can become rather disappointing. With increasing age, the blood vessels in the penis become constricted, thus leading to erectile dysfunction (ED). There are many factors that can lead to reduced blood supply to the penis. Here are a few causes of ED:
- Medical conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disorders, can lead to erection problems.
- Cancer treatment like radiation can be the cause.
- Common medications can be a problem.
- A sedentary lifestyle and weight gain can contribute.
- Bad habits such as smoking and drinking, can be a reason.
- Reduced testosterone levels can lead to erectile dysfunction when combined with other conditions, like atherosclerosis.
3. Performance Anxiety: The Major Culprit Behind Your Low Sex Drive
Many people deal with performance anxiety in their lives. They are terrified to get up and perform in front of others. Also known as stage fright, it can act as a barrier to what you actually want to do. The fear of speaking in public brings down the self-confidence level of a person and makes them timid.
They may suffer from an anxiety attack, where the body responds as if being met with a danger. People often experience an increased breathing rate, as well as trembling.
Sexual performance anxiety is also a similar situation. In this condition, men are unable to enjoy the sexual experience due to anxiety. They are too bothered about their appearance or apprehensions that they restrict themselves to enjoy the lovemaking session. There might also be other sexual concerns such as penis size and early ejaculation that can be the reason for concern.
Here are ways to get back your self-confidence in your bedroom:
- Positive thoughts and self-confidence boosting techniques may help men with sexual performance anxiety.
- Yoga, workouts and mindfulness work wonders for your physical and mental health.
- Communicating your fears to your partner helps to make things comfortable and easier to face.
Enjoy the romance to get the pleasure you deserve. Relax and take your time, as you make love to your partner.
4. Stress Causes a Decrease in Male Libido
Your lives may have become busier than you had expected them to be. Your hectic lifestyle is bound to bring stressors and struggles with it. In the wake of a frazzled situation, your body releases stress hormones, such as cortisol and epinephrine. The high level of these hormones in your body worsens your anxiety and paves way to chronic stress.
Constant stress and depression often leave you weak and exhausted; thus, when you are mentally weak, you are left with little energy and enthusiasm to have a successful sex life. Depressive thoughts may then occupy your mind at all times and they don’t give way to relaxation.
If you are dealing with a mild form of depression, you can use ways to calm your disturbing thoughts. Here are a few tips:
- Stress control techniques, such as proper sleep, nutrition, meditation and exercise, can solve low libido due to tension.
- Proper, regular exercise induces the release of endorphins, which can help to bring down cortisol levels.
- Finding time for relaxation and romance is also a key factor in making your sex life fulfilling.
Relationship issues are some of the major reasons of low libido in many men. When partners argue, they often find it hard to experience the ultimate bliss. Disinterest showed by the partners further worsens the situation. Remember, sex can be the connection that may bring both the partners together. Visiting a counselor is a solution to bridge the gap between partners.
5. Restless Leg Syndrome Linked to Erectile Dysfunction
Restless leg syndrome or RLS is a condition where the patient has the uncontrollable urge to move the legs. Patients often experience such symptoms during the night time, right before sleeping, and thus they find it difficult to get a good night sleep. RLS is a neurological disorder that medical experts are still working to learn more about.
Researchers have conducted a study to find the correlation between restless leg syndrome and erectile dysfunction. They found that the majority of people with restless leg syndrome also suffered low libido. Regrettably, most people fail to recognize the connection between RLS and low libido and they take it as a muscle spasm.
Some studies found that reduced release of dopamine could be the connecting factor between restless leg syndrome and erectile issues. Patients suffering from Parkinson’s disease mostly suffer from RLS, due to the absence of the dopamine-producing cells in the brain.
6. Depression Breaks Down Your Urge to Have Sex
Depression seems to be a simple issue, but its consequences on daily life are immense. Constant thoughts of despair kill the urge for sex. A person who is depressed gets engrossed into his own suffering and hardly thinks of sex.
This lack of sexual activity further pushes the person into depression. Sadly, anti-depressants that treat depression also affects libido. It works like a cycle, one becoming the cause for other and vice versa.
Fortunately, experts are of the opinion that, after the successful treatment of depression, the person gets back the lost libido. Here are ways to get yourself back to the grove:
- Indulge in activities, such as exercise and walking, to stimulate the release of endorphins, also known as happy chemicals.
- Spend time with your loved ones.
- Hug, kiss and cuddle your partner often.
- Listen to music.
7. Chronic Illnesses May Lead to Poor Libido
Chronic illnesses, such as severe conditions like diabetes, arthritis or multiple sclerosis can drop your libido like a rock. Nevertheless, with the proper approach and some patience, you can correct poor health. Read on to find ways to get back your healthy life:
- Take your medicine on time and be positive.
- Communicate with your partner and solve the challenges together.
- Keep in touch with your doctor and go for counseling, if needed.
- If you are dealing with psychological issues, get the required treatment.
- Reminisce your good times and treat them as a reminder to bounce back to good health.
- Do not distance yourself from friends and family.
8. Lack of Sleep Kills a Man’s Sex Drive
You may never understand the significance of a good sleep until you struggle hard to get one. You may not realize, but the perils of sleep deprivation are rather deep. Lack of sleep may trigger a series of abnormal reactions into your body, which may give rise to several health disorders, including a disturbed sex life.
When you sleep, your body gets into relaxation mode and works to repair your damaged and exhausted cells. Lack of sleep often leaves you tired and lethargic. Without enough energy, a man may experience low libido and reduced sexual arousal. Lack of sleep when combined with tension can even cause complex sexual dysfunction, such as ED. Loss of sleep can make your brain function awkwardly, due to the inhibition of the frontal lobe.
According to a study, a correlation was found between sleep and testosterone levels in men. Researchers found that patients with obstructive sleep apnea have decreased levels of testosterone, and thus lessened sexual drive.
Without sleep, the person becomes easily irritable, thus affecting the connection with their spouse and kids. People suffering from insomnia are also reported to be leading an unhealthy lifestyle. It is worth noting that without proper care and timely treatment, sleep deprivation may lead to depression.
9. Why Does Aging Matter?
Even though the life expectancy has increased in the last few years, sexual desire is usually found to decrease after 50’s. The truth is, this it is not a common rule, as a drop in sexual urges due to aging is dependent upon several factors. There are men, who even in their 90’s have sexually-active lives.
Some of the reasons for the decrease in sexual desire with age are:
- Low Level of Testosterone: When you are in your 50’s, the hormone level of your body begins to decline, and in the 80’s, these levels drop drastically. The good news is, with proper testosterone therapy, it is easy to regain the loss of libido in men.
- Low Blood Circulation: Erections occur because of the increased blood flow to the penis and scrotum. With aging, the circulation of blood decreases and your penis takes longer to get the erection.
- Reduced Sensitivity in The Penile Region: The sensitivity of the penile area decreases with age. Menin their 60’s usually require assistance, a sexually arousing environment and a comfortable mindset to attain their erections.
10. Medications: Drugs That Affect Your Sex Drive
Nowadays, people are rushing to get drugs that claim to increase libido in men, but little do they realize the usual medicine they take can damage their libido. Some medications that lead to lack of sex drive are:
- Antidepressants: Depression is a cause for low sexual desire and to cure it, you need antidepressants, but some antidepressants work by increasing the serotonin levels, and thus reduce libido. You can consult with your healthcare executive to find other alternative drugs to treat your depression.
- Birth Control Pills: Some oral contraceptives can bring down your testosterone level wand negatively impact your libido.
- Proscar: Your doctor may prescribe this medicine for benign prostatic hyperplasia, which occurs in aged men.
- Propecia: This drug contains finasteride and it works to treat hair loss in men. Finasteride prevents the activity of testosterone that leads to a loss of sexual desire in men.
- Antihistamines: Your doctor usually prescribes this drug for the treatment of allergies. It can affect your libido when taken just before sex. The trick is to take this medicine when it does not interfere with your private timing. You should speak to your doctor before making any changes.
- Anti-seizure drugs: They work by decreasing the transfer of impulse through the nerve cells. Even though effective, these drugs can drastically dampen your orgasms.
- Opioids: Pain relief opioids can be a blessing for some, but may cause sexual problems.
These are some of the medicines that can lead to decreased libido. If you think that the reason of your low libido is medicines, you should consult your doctor before making any changes yourself.
11. Quality of The Relationship: Stress Can Affect Your Relationship and Sex Life
Some people are unhappy in their relationship, which is the major cause of men’s low sex drive. Stress and sex work like a cycle. With increased stress and anxiety in life, people delve too much into their issues, without being able to find time for sex or enjoy the act.
There are men who often get bored of their mundane sex life and thus, experience less eroticism. In other cases, the male partner often suffers from sexual health issues, such as erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and poor stamina, all of which end up in poor arousal.
Here are ways to revive your sex life:
- For most relationship issues that lead to loss of libido in men, experts recommend to consult a qualified counselor. The counselor will hear all your emotional and physical problems, and make both partners understand the situation, and suggest solutions.
- With the proper effort, it is possible to work the stress and curb it down. For couples suffering from stress, an enjoyable sex life can help them face the problems and prevent stress from turning into a chronic issue. When you find solace in sex and its pleasures, you can overcome stress.
12. Why Exercise Treats Low Sex Drive in Men
People who don’t exercise often suffer from poor health and a low libido. Find a daily activity like going for a refreshing morning walk. Take your partner along to get those much-needed vibes. Increase your vitality with workouts and sports.
Exercise increases muscle and breathing capacity of your body, and also releases endorphins. Endorphins are happy hormones, which increase the level of sex hormones in the body. People suffering from erectile dysfunction can benefit from exercise, as it increases the blood flow to the penile region. Shedding a few pounds will also make you look attractive and appealing, and thus enhance your self-confidence.
13. The Correlation Between Food and Sex
There are certain types of foods that can affect your testosterone levels and lead to a poor libido. To improve your sex life, avoid the over consumption of these foods:
- Soy or tofu, which can increase estrogen.
- Processed foods and refined carbohydrates. They contain high levels of sugars that may increase estrogen and decrease the man hormone.
- Over consumption of alcohol may lead to erectile dysfunction.
More tips for eating include:
- Overeating can be a turn off, regardless of what you have consumed. It leads to weight gain and associated illnesses. It is best to eat a balanced diet with lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and plenty of water.
- Consume grass fed lean meat, which is high in zinc.
- Fish such as salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which helps increase blood circulation to the genitals.
14. Keep Your Expectations Real
You need to understand that there is nothing like perfect sex. Some sexual problems arise when people compare their sex lives to what they watch in porn.
Real life sex is much more relaxing than the fictional kind. It brings partners closer and strengthens their bond. The trouble is, people end up in despair when they create high expectations about sex. This is because real sex does not always turn out to be sizzling. There are times when couples keep it short and simple.
15. Be Imaginative: Make Sex More Fulfilling
With a tad bit of creativity, you can bring more love and lust into your sex life. You can do this by shutting down all those inhibitions and fears that you have harbored inside you. Switch on the sex godin you and let yourself be swept away in the emotions without being bothered about anything.
Creating fantasies in sex will take you to a different world. Fantasies also help you to overcome anxiety and stress, which are other causes of your low libido. Sexual fantasies are any thoughts or images that a person has, and which causes them to be sexual aroused.
Build anticipation and spice up your sex life. The wait makes sex even more interesting which, in turn, rekindles love in long relationships.
16. Should You Use Natural Male Enhancement Medications?
There are several medicines that work to increase male libido, such as Prosolution Pills. This is a natural male enhancement pill, which helps to get lasting and better erections. It works by increasing the sexual stamina and blood circulation to your genital areas.
Related Article - MaleExtra- Erection Problems? Suffering From Erectile Dysfunction?
The best thing about such male enhancement supplements is that they are composed of natural ingredients. They are herbal and thus, safe to use in a long term. When you decide to take Prosolution pills, consult your doctor. Also, never stop taking a lifesaver medicine without getting a proper alternative from your doctor, as it may cost you your life.
17. Testosterone Replacement Therapy: Treatment for Loss of Libido in Men
Even though there are several remedies for reduced libido, not all are effective and quick. With age, there is a natural decline of testosterone hormone, and thus testosterone replacement therapy might be the best solution.
Related Post: Prostate Surgery and Sex – the Testosterone Connection
Before making the decision for testosterone therapy, find out about all the pros and cons of the treatment. There are cases where men have reported to have felt younger and energetic with testosterone replacement. On the other hand, there have been some concerns of heart diseases resulting from testosterone therapy.
After you have tried all the cures for loss of libido in men, therapy might look like a final resort. However, the problem may sometimes not be as complicated as you thought it to be so it is better to check with a sex therapist.
You might also like: VigRX Oil Review